Photoelastic Visualisation System
The PES-900 is a miniature, portable Photoelastic Visualization System that allows you to see sound. Equipped with a custom strobe light, zoom-macro video lens and high resolution video camera, the PES-900 allows imaging of ultrasonic pulses in glass and other clear media. Users have the option to use the high energy pulser provided or connect to other ultrasonic instruments (including phased array) that have TTL triggers.
The system comes complete with laptop computer and software to capture still and video images. Also included is software to perform beam analysis using image intensity mapping. Two glass samples are provided with a probe and selection of wedges so that the system can be assembled and running within a matter of minutes.
- Ideal for training, research and technical development.
- Portable, fully adjustable positioning system.
- Easy and fast installation for field or lab use.
Principles of the photoelastic visualisation are indicated in the animated gif below:
The concepts have been made into a miniature portable system complete with pulser-receiver, samples, high-resolution camera, image capture software for stills and videos, and image analysis software for quantification of the imaged pulses.
PES-900 Standard Equipment
Includes the following items as standard equipment:
- Laptop computer fully loaded with necessary software and hardware
- Controller (pulser and delay circuitry with option for internal or external trigger)
- High speed high intensity strobe-light source
- High-resolution CMOS camera with Zoom-macro lens
- Imaging samples, (2 glass samples, one with targets one radiused)
- 900 mm mounting base with adjustable spring loaded hold-down
- All necessary lenses and lens holders and rotators (All optical components and base are fully
removable and can be reconfigured for other lightpath and specimen dimensions)
- Ultrasonic probe and wedges (1 probe and 3 angle wedges are supplied)
- Image capture and Image analysis software for quantification of imaged pulses
- Water-tight packing/shipping case
All components mount on 3 optical tables to allow full adjustment and positioning of imaging components.
The specimen mounting area is located along the light path with a nominal 75 mm diameter illumination area that can be imaged using a macro focusing lens mounted on the CMOS camera.
Software is provided for viewing and analysing the projected images on a supplied laptop computer.
Product Information Sheet
Click here for Sample Images (Gallery)
Link to videos on-line: